1. I bind unto myself today The strong name of the Trinity By invocation of the same, The Three in One and One in Three.
2. I bind this day to me forever, By power of faith, Christ’s incarnation, His baptism in the Jordan river, His death on cross for my salvation, His bursting from the spiced tomb, His riding up the heavenly way, His coming at the day of doom, I bind unto myself today.
3. I bind unto myself today The virtues of the starlit heaven, The glorious sun’s life-giving ray, The whiteness of the moon at even, The flashing of the lightning free, The whirling wind’s tempestuous shocks, The stable earth, the deep salt sea Around the old eternal rocks.
4. I bind unto myself today The power of God to hold and lead, God’s eye to watch, God’s might to stay, God’s ear to hearken to my need, The wisdom of my God to teach, God’s hand to guide, God’s shield to ward, The word of God to give me speech, God’s heavenly host to be my guard.
5. Christ be with me, Christ within me, Christ behind me, Christ before me, Christ beside me, Christ to win me, Christ to comfort and restore me. Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ in quiet, Christ in danger, Christ in hearts of all that love me, Christ in mouth of friend and stranger.
6. I bind unto myself the name, The strong name of the Trinity By invocation of the same, The Three in One and One in Three, Of whom all nature has creation, Eternal Father, Spirit, Word. Praise to the Lord of my salvation; Salvation is of Christ the Lord!
St Patrick’s Breastplate attributed to St Patrick tr. Mrs Cecil Frances Alexander, 1818-1895
Almighty and everlasting God, who hast given unto us thy servants grace, by the confession of a true faith, to acknowledge the glory of the eternal Trinity, and in the power of the divine majesty to worship the Unity: we beseech thee; that this holy faith may evermore be our defence against all adversities; who livest and reignest, ever one God, world without end. Amen. - Divine Worship: The Missal.